Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Getting My Groove Back

Today I opened the files for my fourth novel for the first time in two months. It's a little like reconnecting with old friends on Facebook. In other words, who the heck are these people and what the heck is going on in their lives?

For the past two months, I was finalizing (researching, rewriting and polishing) my third novel, Honorable Lies, which is now in Queryland with 13 agents. Well, I sent letters to 13 agents (because that number has always been lucky for me), but two have already said they are so proud of me, and pleased that I would give them the chance, but that they are unfortunately unable to represent my work. Hmmm. That's okay, I only need one, and he/she is still out there.

You know the sage advice, "Write every day"? That's so you don't forget your own children characters. I had written 20,000 words of A Reasonable Price before I went back to finish up my last novel, and it's going to take a while for me to remember exactly what these peoples' demons and goals are. Fortunately, I have this novel outlined, start to finish, and I have copious notes to use as reference. This is the first time I've been so thorough on the outline, and I'm very glad to have all these notes to suck me right back into the tempest I have brewing in my hard drive. If you're one who's not able to write every day, this might be exactly the tack to take so you can re-immerse yourself at a moment's notice.

Or maybe I'll switch things up a bit now that I'm older and wiser. Either way, it's good to be back.


No comments:

Post a Comment