Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Don't hate me because I'm narcissistic

Things I love (Installment #1):  Last weekend I returned from a decades-long trip to the moon, and I walked into a jazz concert rehearsal at the New England Conservatory.  Fronting the school's orchestra was a darn good quartet, whom I was soon told was the Wayne Shorter quartet.  My son explained to me that I was in the presence of greatness, and he wasn't even talking about himself.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Shorter


Ok, so I was never really exposed to jazz music (please refer to my bio... the part about having four children.)  Back when Mr. Shorter was making history with Herbie Hancock, Carlos Santana, Joni Mitchell, and so many others, I was reading Dr. Seuss to my kids.  But back to things I love.  If I had happened to run into Mr. Shorter that day, say at Whole Foods, I wouldn't have had any idea of whom he was, or what those lips and hands were capable of.  I love discovering the hidden talent in a person.  (Yes, I buried the lead there.)  I love it when you meet a person, and later discover that they are a famous musician, artist, rocket scientist, writer, or anything, really, this side of a supermodel.  Now, when I stand in line at the grocery store, I try to show all due respect to the nerdy man ahead of me.  For all I know, he could have invented blogging.


Off to the library,
Karolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment